Ways to celebrate English Tourism Week
- Brush up on a bit of culture, check out our pick of the city’s best cultural offerings at Bradford Museums & Galleries.
- Lights, Camera, Action! Explore the amazing architecture and landscapes of Bradford, UNESCO City of Film. Visit inspirational movie locations, both Peaky Blinders and Gunpowder are the latest in a long line of productions filmed in and around Bradford.
- Come and explore the Bradford Cathedral on the 22 & 24 -30 May from 1-4pm during English Tourism Week to find out more about the Welcome to Yorkshire Small Visitor Attraction of the Year 2020!
- Step back in time on the Railway Children’s Railway in the heart of Brontë Country. Immerse yourself in the history of the railways and experience a really big, noisy adventure at the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway.
- Cinema is back! Befitting of its UNESCO City of Film status, Bradford has a fine selection of cinemas showcasing a mixture of blockbuster films, arthouse delights, classic movies, live theatre, and documentaries. Pictureville Cinema is home to three fantastic screens, including the biggest, most immersive IMAX in West Yorkshire. Ilkley Cinema is a Double Screen Independent Cinema, blending relaxed modern design and the very latest in projection and audio technology. What movies are you looking forward to seeing ?
- Discover Saltaire Arts Trail a community arts event held annually at Spring Bank Holiday weekend. It offers an imaginative visual arts programme. 2021 Saltaire Arts Trail will take place between Sat 29 May and Sun 6 June.
Enjoy The OuTDOORS
- Take a stroll around charming UNESCO World Heritage Site Saltaire. Founded in 1853 by Sir Titus Salt, a leading industrialist in the Yorkshire woollen industry. This pretty village has a rich history and heritage, and plenty of great attractions.
- Take an invigorating walk on Ilkley Moor, visit the iconic Cow & Calf (also known as the Hangingstone Rocks) by using one of the network of paths from Ilkley and White Wells.
- Experience spring at East Riddlesden Hall. In the borders, you’ll find a selection of plants which burst into bloom at different times throughout the season – putting on a different show each time you come to visit the garden.
- Discover local beauty spot of Shipley Glen, which can be reached using the Victorian Shipley Glen Tramway – a historic funicular dating from 1895 – Reopening on 23 May, then open every Sunday 12:00-16:00.
Enjoy Food & Drink
- Bradford has a well earned reputation for some of the finest Asian food in the UK. Spend 24 Hours in Bradford and tantalise your taste buds following the Bradford Curry Trail.
- From rooftop cafe to alfresco restaurants in Ilkley, find the best outdoor places to take in some fresh air and fresh flavours.
- What better way to celebrate English Tourism Week than with a traditional afternoon tea at the Midland Hotel, Bradford. Enjoy the Afternoon Tea Offer (until the end June 2021.) It’s £12.50 per person for Afternoon Tea with a glass of Prosecco.
Enjoy At Home
- Listen to Jane Eyre on BBC Sounds, Charlotte Bronte’s intimate and disquieting coming of age classic about secrets and lies. Read by Katherine Press. Produced by Anne Bunting.
- Join Bradford Cathedral on Facebook & YouTube! Maggie Myers, Director of Education and Visitors gives you a whistle-stop tour of some of the heritage highlights you can see when visiting Bradford Cathedral. – A different video will be released each day from 22 – 31 May 2021.
- Do remember they can’t cancel the spring’. Explore a selection of artworks by artist and Bradfordian David Hockney.
- Watch Wuthering Heights online at BFI Player. Emily Brontë’s wild, dark romance is adapted by Oscar-winner Andrea Arnold. Robbie Ryan’s exquisite HD cinematography engulfs the viewer in the harsh beauty of the moors.
Plan A Visit
For Brilliant Bradford days out take inspiration from one of our themed itineraries get a flavour of the great things you can see and do on a visit to Bradford.
Come and visit all that Bradford has to offer with the Great Victoria Hotel’s fantastic ‘Escape to Yorkshire’ package. Enjoy a two night luxury stay in one of the Newly renovated bedrooms with a delicious breakfast plus a 2 course meal on your first evening. The package is £180.00 per couple. Introductory offer of *£153.00 (15% discount). *T&Cs Apply. Call the Great Victoria sales team on 01274 728706, option 1 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Rediscover your love of Bradford & District… >> Know Before You Go>> Keep up to date with the guidance for visiting Bradford district. Find out what you can do locally and start to make plans for when restrictions ease.
Remember when you are out and about to follow public health guidance. Please wash your hands regularly, wear a face covering when required, and maintain a safe distance from others.
♥ Visit Bradford ♥ #EnglishTourismWeek21