We may still be in lockdown, but we’ve found some fantastic fun activities to keep the kids entertained and active this half term.
Be an explorer:
Pull on your wellies and enjoy some fresh air close to home whether in your local park, woods or in the garden:
- Find the magical winter fairies or dinosaurs hidden in Lister Park or Peel Park with the free Love Exploring app! NEW trails include Horton and Harold Park >> Download the App
- Get excited for woodland hikes, a stroll in the park, adventures canalside. Wrap up warmly, grab a flask and head outside. What can you discover on a nature walk? Things to Look for on a Nature Walk.
Immerse yourself in nature, enjoy the outdoors responsibly. Respect, Protect, Enjoy – the Countryside Code.
- Go on a scavenger hunt at home with Bradford Museums.
- Build a den or hunt a mini-beast with ideas from NT East Riddlesden Hall.
- Take a virtual tour around Cliffe Castle Museum.
In line with current restrictions, outdoor exercise is limited to once per day. Walking and other forms of exercise can play a crucial role in maintaining mental and physical health, but please remember to stay local and follow government guidelines. Hands, face, space.
Be active at home:
- The Join Us Move Play (JU:MP) website is full of tips and ideas to keep kids active both outdoors and at home. Why not try balloon volleyball, lava leap, or take the 10 second challenge!
- Join Bradford Libraries special story time and yoga extravaganza! There’s a different story and activity each day to keep children moving and entertained. Go to Bradford Libraries YouTube, Facebook or Twitter pages or visit.
- 50 Things to Do Before You’re 5 has plenty of stay at home ideas for young children.
Be a chef:
- It’s Pancake Day on Tuesday 16 February! What’s your favourite topping? We’d love to see photos of how you eat yours. Tag #SparklingBradford on Twitter and Instagram and make us hungry.
- Try a virtual cookalong – make the same recipe as friends and family and cookalong together via zoom. For some recipe ideas.
- Make an authentic Italian pizza at home with Aldo Italian’s special children’s pizza making kit.
- Bradford Cathedral has some flippin fun facts in its Shrove Tuesday and pancake videos.
Be an experimenter: be the first to try out some new games created right here in Yorkshire as part of The Yorkshire Games Festival at the Science and Media Museum.
Be a pirate for the day: The Bradford Literature Festival has a selection of pirate videos, stories and craft ideas.
Be an astronaut or astronomer with the Yorkshire Dales Dark Skies Festival: Beginners guides to star gazing, watch live videos of wildlife at night-time, you can even go on a space mission to Mars!
Be crafty, a designer or an artist:
- Try Bradford’s Museums and Galleries collection colouring sheets, learn to draw like David Hockney, or take the garden bird eye-spy challenge.
- Go back in time with the Brontë Parsonage Museum’s traditional indoor activities.
- Take the Peace Museum’s creative challenge – 8 activity videos for you to try.
- Cobbles and Clay pottery painting kits are perfect for stay-at-home fun.
- Design your own railway carriage painting with the Rail Story at Ingrow – where’s your favourite place to visit?
Remember when you are out and about to follow public health guidance. Please wash your hands regularly, wear a face covering when required, and maintain a safe distance from others.