Note the blue plaque on Bank Street. The Wool Exchange symbolises the great wealth and importance which Bradford had gained from the wool trade by the mid-19th century. Between the ground floor arches are carved portraits of notable people (facing Market Street): Cobden, Sir Titus Salt, Stephenson, Watt,Arkwright, Jacquard, Gladstone and Palmerston and (to Bank Street): Raleigh,Drake, Columbus, Cook and Anson. Flanking the porched entrance below the tower are statues of Bishop Blaize, the patron saint of woolcombers, and King Edward III who greatly promoted the wool trade.
7.Bradford Commercial Bank and Historic Piece Hall Yard
On the corner of Bank Street and Hustlergate stands the former Bradford Commercial Bank — another fine example of a Victorian bank, built in 1868 to the design of Andrews and Pepper. To the right of the former bank is Piece Hall Yard — a fine Victorian streetscape, home to the historic Bradford Club and, a more recent addition, the Peace Museum.The Bradford Club featured extensively in 2018’s BBC Christmas blockbuster, The ABC Murders, starring Rupert Grint and John Malkovich.
Walk up Piece Hall Yard, and turn right onto Kirkgate, towards the imposing Midland Hotel.
8.The Midland Hotel
The Midland Hotel is a terminus hotel of appropriately bold and lavish design by the chief architect of the Midland Railway. The many famous names who have stayed here include Laurel and Hardy, The Beatles and the Rolling Stones. The famous stage actor Sir Henry Irving died here in 1905 after appearing at the nearby Theatre Royal. Near to this site, the original FA Cup was made here in Bradford City Centre.
Walk along Lower Kirkgate, alongside The Broadway, and take a right towards Forster Square and Well Street. If it’s a chilly day, The Broadway may be a good place to grab a warm takeaway cuppa. Don’t forget your face covering!
9.Cathedral Church of St. Peter at Christmas
Note the Christmas star above Bradford Cathedral, and enjoy the festive displays in peaceful Cathedral Gardens. The present church dates largely from the 15th century, incorporating a 14th century nave arcade. The parish church was given Cathedral status in 1919 and the east end remodelled and extended in 1954–63 by Sir Edward Maufe.